mardi 9 avril 2013

Souvenirs, souvenirs...



A looong time ago, (1993), I made  a very large quilt, 10 m long, in five parts. You can see in the picture, my family holding it together for the first time. (I made it  a quilt at a time, having no room in my studio to hang them all together).
The whole was selected then for the third Swiss Contemporary Quilt Show. The first three were bought by the Vaud Canton,(Switzerland), the fourth one went in Bern, and the last one is hanging on my wall, in my studio.
Two days ago, it was a very big surprise to see my quilts again, while watching television! Indeed, they interviewed someone from the Vaud government, and here were my quilts! I hadn't seen them in 20 years! The pictures are very bad, sorry, but I took them directly from the screen.

Il y a trèèèès longtemps (1993), j'ai fait une très grand quilt, 10 m de long, en 5 parties. Vous pouvez voir sur la photo ma famille le tenir pour la première fois. (Je l'ai réalisé un quilt à la fois, car je n'avais pas la place dans mon atelier de les suspendre ensemble).
L'ensemble a été sélectionné à l'époque pour la troisième Exposition Suisse de Patchwork contemporain. Les premiers trois ont été acheté par le canton de Vaud, le quatrième est parti pour Berne et le cinquième est accroché au mur dans mon atelier.
Quelle ne fut pas ma surprise il y a deux jours quand j'ai vu mes quilts à la télévision. En effet, ils ont interviewé quelqu'un du gouvernement vaudois et voilà mes quilts! Je ne les avais pas vu depuis 20 ans! Les photos sont mauvaises, désolée, mais je les ai directement prises depuis l'écran.

Here is a detail of the part I still own.

Voici un détail de la partie que je possède encore.

Hymnes à la couleur: L'Eveil à l'amour
1993, 5 x 134 x 187 cm


6 commentaires

  1. En regardant l'émission j'ai pensé que c'était un quilt mais sans vraiment être sure, c'est vraiment une pièce magnifique

    RépondreSupprimer
  2. What an amazing work of art Mary. It must have looked stunning when it was all placed together. How wonderful that you managed to see it again on television, like stumbling on photos of one of your children. I'm pleased you included the photo of the detail, it shows how beautifully creative each section was. Your love of colours and fabric has a long history.

    RépondreSupprimer
  3. Oh Mary, these are amazing quilts! I'm so happy to see that they are in a place where people can admire craft art! Thank you for the detail photo to see how small pieces you have used. x Teje

    RépondreSupprimer
  4. Wow stunning! And what a buzz to see yourself on TV suddenly (so to speak)!

    RépondreSupprimer
  5. What an amazing quilt! The detail of the different fabric colors is out of this world. Beautiful work of quilt art.

    RépondreSupprimer
  6. I am speechless! Challenged as i am with the teeny tiny quilt I am making I can't even begin to imagine making something of this scale! You continuously amaze me.

    RépondreSupprimer

On Instagram

© Mary & Patch. Made with love by The Dutch Lady Designs.